Monday, June 24, 2013

BE (controlling) Postman 5&6


Oh this one got my stirred up!  There were moments in reading that I agreed whole-heartedly with Postman’s comments: “When the supply of information becomes uncontrollable, a general breakdown in psychic tranquility and social purpose occurs” (72) and “social institutions of all kinds function as control mechanisms” (73) believe me, as the mother of a 3-year-old, I agree! Even the blunt statement, “when there is too much information to sustain any theory, information becomes essentially meaningless” (77).

However, there were also moments that I wanted to scream aloud at Postman.  To endorse the words of Hillel; and imply that the Bible is a theory, was about all that I could take.  Especially when his understanding of the “theory” was so inept.  He completely missed Christ and grace.  I wouldn’t endorse “His” theory of the Bible either… and I’m a Bible teacher! Not to mention- his theory wouldn’t save anyone. 

I also disagree with him that (Biblical) religion aims to control information.  Instead, I think the Bible is God’s way of teaching us to deal with information.  Why else am I teaching adolescents about prostitution, rape, murder, and homosexuality through the stories of the Old Testament?  Believe me, I don’t do it because it’s fun.  We teach our students something great when they are able to discern- not when we shelter them from inconvenient information.  So I’ll uphold that the Bible gives meaning to life and guidance (which I’m sure Postman would call me naïve for even saying). But I disagree that it “seals off unwanted information” (79).   

I find Postmans’ opinions on Technolpoly’s bureaucracy, expertise, and machinery leading us away from morality to be true.  His comments on page 90 lead me to related thinking on the difficulty of “grading” in Bible class.  How do I quantify someone’s faith?  How do I objectify faithfulness, goodness, love?  If you’ve ever tried to create/score those character traits that often show up on report cards you feel my pain.  Is this all a result of technology? 

Do you think religion (specifically Biblical Christianity) aims to be a controlling institution? 

Has Technology (Technopoly/expertise) led us away from the moral universe?

Are we cheapening the fruits of the spirit (faith in general) when we try to objectively “score” it with a grade?


                               “Mommy, Lukas said *&%#- what does that mean?”
                                    (Some controlling institutions ARE needed)

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts Julie!! I don't think that God's Biblical teachings lead the Christian church in the direction of being a controlling institution, but sadly for whatever reason, I think that it has attempted to control our culture in many ways. Instead of finding ways to be in relationship with those that are outside the church, our religious institutions often proclaim judgements and attempt to legislate laws. Christ calls us to proclaim the gospel and seek justice and mercy. Instead, we often find ourselves forming exclusive groups and doing token service projects. Yes, I do think the church, as a whole, needs to become less controlling and more loving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost {hear} you in a conversation!!! Loved your post!!!

    And I agree whole-heartedly about how the Bible should help us in the how of dealing with information rather than limiting the information. The Bible gives us a lens to view and deal with it. God gave us an example of His love through Jesus--who didn't seem to run away or limit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Christianity in its true form -- the kind that focuses on Christ and grace -- doesn't aim to be a controlling institution. If we are truly Christ minded, His presence in our lives will be "the immune system" that we crave. However, sin has also crept into the church and it also can be guilty of trying to control and manipulate, forcing its moral decisions on people. We need to be careful to even be discerning of the information that churches are bringing.

    ReplyDelete