Wednesday, June 19, 2013

BE (afraid?) A day of Postman (Ch. 3 &4) and WebMD


Erythema Multiforme.  If you had asked me what this was a few days ago I would have had no idea.  But ask me tonight, and I can give you pages (literally) of information.  That's what I've found... on WebMD, that is, and a few other scary websites.  My son has had a unique rash for a few days and today it was finally diagnosed by my Pediatrician as Erythema Multiforme .  However, being the young mom I am, I raced home (OK, actually I looked it up on my phone in the car) to find out more.  Google provides more than 959,000 results.  I could read for days about Erythema Multiforme.

The other reading I did today was Postman's third and fourth chapters.  I was struck by the level of stress he put on fearing technology.  His description of the Technopolic culture we are in is described as Totalitarian.  The claim is made that these technological advancements aim to annihilate the old world and any sort of "sense" that we as humans have ever had.  I'll admit that I found his angle a little harsh and his view of technology a little too dark.

But then I got to page 61- the "information glut" and thought about the 959,000 results for Erythema Multiforme.  Perhaps Postman has a point.  This is a lot of information about a mild skin reaction that is really not that dangerous.  On page 67 he references the early nineteenth century and how our Founding Fathers operated on the assumption that when information was made available to people they were capable of managing it (connection between information-reason- usefulness).  He argues that we have strayed from that culture into one where we have severed the tie between information and human purpose (page 70).  And I'll concede that there is A LOT of information out there.  But have we really gotten to such a state of "glut" that information has become meaningless as he claims on page 70?

And if that really is the case, how do we restore meaning to information?  After all, if the Biblical story is lumped in there as "information" how do we restore meaning to what will otherwise just be seen as more facts: (417,000,000 results actually)



6 comments:

  1. I read that part too-about information glut. . .and I felt so guilty! I know when it comes to anything--medical, like you pointed out, to birthday party decoration ideas, I go to my computer and am bombarded with information--and I like it!!! I love being able to "know." I love being called creative when I just stole someone's idea and made it my own! Those days when the internet goes weird or the router malfunctions are hard days!
    I had an experience with a pregnancy where I had a "condition." And I Googled it. . .and it was quite horrible to read about. It didn't give me much hope for my future child. Since I had to visit my doctor a lot, I asked her about it and everything I read--and my chances of hope in this situation. She was {thankfully} a Christian and told me that what I saw on the internet could happen and were all true stories, but that I need to place my situation in God's hand (along with following medical recommendations, etc.) where truth and hope is really found. I'm still quite addicted to searching EVERYTHING out on the web, but I think it is also important to keep in mind that the information isn't my god. The one who created and redeems is my God. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had an answer to your question. How DO we restore meaning to information? We can't throw out technology and all the sources of information out there, so how do we go about finding real meaning in all the mess? I am hoping Postman will answer that question, because right now I am feeling a little inadequate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sooo many facts.... BUT when we need to know something, we are almost sure to find it. I really like the medical sights when I have a burning question, as well. My very favorite sight and I'm sure the one that I use the most is Bible Gateway. I absolutely love to be able to locate a verse that I am familiar with but don't know where it is or exactly what it says. I don't have a photographic memory, or anywhere near that, so this sight has saved me many hours of searching over the past few years. Do Biblical facts get lost amongst all the others? I have to say that I don't think so. God's word is alive, no matter what the format.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Knowledge" has become cheap through technology. Wikipedia has put Encyclopedia Britainnica out of business. I've heard it argued that students shouldn't have to memorize things any more...they can just google it. These are strange thoughts...and I sort of agree...but I think this is one more example of Technopoly in action!

    I wonder about teaching for discernment and wisdom. This seems ever more important in a "facts-are-free" Technopoly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phyllis- Great point about the benefits of technology for the spread and ease of God's Word. I think you make an important distinction. I also wanted to tell you about BlueletterBible.com- it's a great online commentary that my 9th graders use a lot.

    It also brings to my mind the discussion of cell phones in schools. We have moved to letting kids use their phones for things like calculators and online Bibles/commentaries like Blue Letter. We've seen good and bad results with this and my school in currently clarifying it's cell phone policy. I wondered what your schools do with these types of resources/if there is any issue?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that Postmans argument is one that is dark; but yet as scary and sad as it is I think that in some ways he does have a point. Sadly I do think that our soceity does see themselves as worthless without thier technology. I also see how much they depend and believe in it. I have heard many times how people swear that thier technology can do no wrong and strongly defend the technology rather the believe people.

    ReplyDelete