Friday, July 5, 2013

BE (non-transferable) Postman Ch 7&8



"When a method of doing things becomes so deeply associated with an institution that we no longer know which came first-the method or the institution-then it is difficult to change the institution or even imagine alternative methods for achieving it's purpose."

As I closed my  reading of Postman this week I read this statement and couldn't help but remember this funny YouTube clip I saw a few years back which perfectly illustrates his point. Please watch it, it's worth the time for the laugh you'll get:


I think  his point about "The computers being down" on page 114 is another case  and point that so much of what we do in our society today relies on the method of computer technologies.  At what point do we become completely irresponsible for the work we do and give sole credit to the computer for both success and failure?

Although I don't whole-heartedly love Postman and his apparent disdain for, well everything... Some of this does awaken a deep fear within me.  If we ever do concede full credit and responsibility to the computer then you and I are out of a job.  If McCarthy's remarks are taken as truth then we are the equivalent of a computer and they the equivalent of us- therefore, they can do our jobs...yikes!

It's not that I'm so afraid of losing my job, it's more that I'm afraid of losing the human influence, inefficient and flawed as it may be.  Weizenbaum had it right on 112 , human intelligence cannot be transferred.  Mostly because we were created differently from the start.  We must be considerate as we use these methods within our classrooms.  Our methods must not dominate the institutions or we may very well miss the point. 

How do we use great methods ( like computers) responsibly when so much of the use is unconscious, second nature?

How often is it appropriate to have an intentional "computers down" day?

4 comments:

  1. I think the idea of an intentional “computer down” day is a great idea. I think this would be highly effective at the higher grades because some teens (including my own children) are hardly ever without all their different forms of technology. A technology fast is often very helpful, because it forces students to use some of the old fashioned ways to communicate and to think on their own. My sister does this with her youth group for a whole week. At first the kids absolutely hate it, but by the end of the week some of them actually found the week less stressful and less busy. Maybe we should try it in our classrooms for a whole week? I’m not sure that is even possible anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of an intentional "computer down day." And that's saying something for this former Tech. Coordinator! :-)

    I'm with Judy--I think the intentionality of this is the key. And I think the kids would absolutely hate it: there is a "thing" that recently acquired an acronym: FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) Kids feel pressure to keep up with all their social networks, etc. so they don't miss out on the next big thing. I've had my undergrads report this to be true: they carry their cell phones with them at all times, for FOMO. Seems a little crazy to this digital immigrant...but then I remember that I check Facebook about a dozen times a day myself, and suddenly it doesn't seem so unfamiliar...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the "computer down day" is great, too. I have 6th graders, so not all of them are connected via cell phones or FB, yet, but this is a great model for all of them to see that there are other ways to accomplish tasks and also to show them how to slow the pace a little from accessing information and creating work online.
    I can think of one example in my classroom when we were having an issue with logging on to Google docs to write. The kids were looking forward to our activity that day, as we were doing story starters. They all begin with a prompt and write for a few minutes. When I say switch, they go to another student's computer and continue the story. So one student voices his concern in all honesty..."So now we can't do our stories?" I responded with, "Well, we could use actual paper instead." I don't know if it was that they did not want to suggest doing it the old-fashioned way, or that it actually did not occur to them as an option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts here! I will also jump on the bandwagon of "computer down day!" I think that is a great idea- and one that I probably should take into practice myself. I have been trying to be very intentional about "distancing" myself from my phone- not having it attached to my hip 24/7. I am actually enjoying this! When I am without my phone, I don't feel as tied down to the world- its a nice feeling every once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete