Monday, June 10, 2013

"Be still, and know that I am God" ~Psalm 46:10



I have to admit, after reading these words Saturday I had no intention of being still.  There was just too much to do.  Finalize grades, fold the laundry, pick up graduation cards, drive the boys to swimming lessons, plant some flowers, and take down the wreath on the front door.  After all, June had come and the tulips no longer belonged there.  

And I was about to the end of my list when I was pecked (yes, pecked) in the back of the head with God's not-so-gentle reminder that He was God and I needed to be still to notice.  I needed to be still to breathe in the spring that had finally arrived here in Minnesota and to remember His faithfulness.  God's call to slow down and be still came from an angry mama bird- a small wren who had decided my tulip wreath was not ready to come down, in fact, it was the perfect place for her little nest.


As I swatted the mama bird away I reached again for my wreath and that was when I noticed it, the messy little nest with three beautiful blue little eggs.  Perhaps it was the spring air, or maybe the young "mama" in me, but I just couldn't take the wreath down anymore.  


God has funny ways of getting our attention, doesn't He?  Just when we think we are so capable of tackling our day, and our to-do-list, on our own He pecks us in the back of the head and reminds us that He is God.  God of our days, God of the three beautiful little blue eggs, and God of the universe.  We simply need to Be... still.


So perhaps there will still be tulips hanging on my door on the 4th of July, but I will daily be reminded to be still.

No comments:

Post a Comment